Greenmeadows Intermediate School

Covid 19 Update

(09) 267 6255 29 Greenmeadows Avenue
Manurewa
Auckland
NEW ZEALAND 2102

Principal's message

Kia ora whānau,

We are looking forward to welcoming more students back onsite next week.

• Monday 22 November for all Year 8 students.
  • Tuesday 23 November for all Year 7 students.

Teachers have been trying to make contact with parents since yesterday to find out which students will be returning to the class. If you haven't heard from them, please email your child's class teacher or ring the school as soon as possible to let us know what your child will be doing.

I know some parents must be wondering why Greenmeadows Intermediate is opening full time for everyone. The government expected schools to make the decision about how they are able to open while meeting the restrictions of Alert 3.2. Below are the measures that factored into our decision to open full time.

• All staff onsite meet the vaccination mandated requirements and we know a number of our students are also vaccinated.
  • Everyone is required to wear a mask indoors.
  • We have the facilitates to easily enable us to maintain bubbles of 20 students and we have extra teachers to create additional bubbles if classes have more than 20 students return.
  • Our classrooms are large and able to be well ventilated. Staff will be strict about everyone maintaining our distance from each other.
  • Our grounds are also large and this makes it easy for us to reduce the risk of students congregating in close groups during breaks and outdoor activities.
  • Our timetable is able to be easily adapted to maximise the time students can spend outside. They will be one hour in class followed by a 20 minute break (half hour for lunch).
  • Year 7 & Year 8 can have separate timetables and so won't be crossing over each other.
  • No one is allowed to come to school if they are sick (and will be sent home, or isolated, if they do turn up to school unwell).
  • Many of our parents work and need the option of sending their children to school full time - we wanted to support parents to do this if they need it.

Last night the Board of Trustees approved our very detailed Health and Safety plan and are very supportive of us reopening full time for everyone as they know that many parents are needing this to happen.

In addition to the fact that we have the health measures to mitigate the risk for staff and students, we also feel strongly that students should experience what a "return to school under COVID conditions" feels like before finishing the year. Hopefully this will support them to feel confident about what a 2022 start of year might look and feel like. We all know it will be different; we want our students to understand that (at their age) they have some control over managing their own personal health and wellbeing during these times. If students come every day to school it is more likely they will embed habitual management strategies (such as distancing, mask wearing, hygiene practices etc) as they learn the routines now required in a school environment to minimise the risk of catching COVID-19. These good habits we hope will set them up well for a positive start to 2022.

Parents can choose not to send their child to school if they wish; a return to school is not compulsory. However, for those who do wish to return to school, we want them to feel they can experience full time, in school class learning, with their friends, for the last three weeks of the year. We will provide hard packs of learning materials for those students who are remaining at home.

Please whānau, do feel free to email me or ring the school to talk to me if you want to discuss any concerns you might have about your child returning to school.

Below is a message about the requirement for schools to maintain a register of student vaccination status. Please do read it! On Thursday I will be sending out a flyer showing all the safety "rules" and routines we will have in place.

Ngā mihi nui

Cathy Chalmers

PRINCIPAL

cchalmers@greenmeadows.school.nz

Student Vaccination Register

Student Vaccination Register

Parents will be aware that students who are aged 12 years and older are able to receive the Pfizer vaccination. Schools are also now required to keep a record of each students vaccination status if they are 12 years or older. This is because it will help us know how to respond should there be a confirmed case reported to the school.

I am now asking parents to send me information regarding their child's vaccination status if they are 12 years or older. This includes if they are NOT vaccinated.

The information the schools is required to keep for every student is whether they are:

• Partially vaccinated (Date of Dose 1)
  • Fully vaccinated (Date of Dose 2)
  • Exempt (Date of Exemption)

If we do not receive this information then the following is recorded:

• No Information Provided (Date of No Information Provided)
  • Vaccination Status Unknown

Please email this information (along with a copy of their proof of vaccination if applicable) to vaccine@greenmeadows.school.nzThe reasons we are getting you to email the information to this address is so that the email doesn't get lost in amongst the plethora of other emails that tend to fill our inboxes here at school. This one is just for vaccine information.

• If vaccinated: please ensure you include your child's full name in the subject line and attach their proof of vaccination. (either take a photo of the vaccination card or screenshot it from the My Covid record website).
  • If your child is NOT vaccinated, put their full name in the subject line and just add "not vaccinated".

Please be assured that we will not share this personal information unless we are required or authorised to do so by law.

I really do appreciate parents helping me to get this student register sorted - it is a requirement for the school and I am hoping we will be able to get it sorted quickly. Thanks in advance!!

send

Deliveries

See all

0 upcoming deliveries

Visitors

889

Likes

0

Show Analytics
Email Report
Link

close